Myanmar Visa for Italian Citizens
Since 2014, nationals of 100 countries are able to obtain the eVisa for Myanmar for tourism and business purposes. Italians are among the nationals who need a visa for Myanmar and are eligible for an online visa.
Only in 2018, more than 16,000 Italian nationals were welcomed by Myanmar, which represented 1.2% of the overall travelers who visited the country during that year to enjoy some of its popular sights and attractions.
While the tourist visa has a validity of 28 days from the date of entering the country, a business visa is valid for a total of 70 days. Travelers who wish to stay longer than the period allowed by their visa type need to apply for a new visa after the expiry of the old one. Only a single-entry Myanmar visa for Italy is available, regardless of the purpose of travel.
Myanmar Visa Requirements for Italian Citizens
Several eVisa requirements must be met before submitting the application. The traveler must be a citizen of one of the eligible countries, in this case, Italy. Furthermore, the applicant needs to be in possession of the following documents:
- An Italian passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry to Myanmar
- A debit or credit card to pay the eVisa processing fee
- An active email address to which the approved Myanmar online visa will be forwarded
To successfully obtain a Myanmar eVisa, each applicant is asked to provide two additional documents, namely:
- A digital copy of the information page of the passport used on the application
- A recent (less than 3 months old) passport-style color photo
The photo must meet the following guidelines:
- The dimensions of the photo should be 4.8cm x 3.8cm (1.88 in x 1,49 in)
- The head must cover about 70% of the photography
- Any headgear should be removed, except the ones that are worn for religious reasons
- Eyes, nose, and mouth must be visible in the photo
- The front view of the applicant’s face is required
- The photo must have a white background
- It should not be altered using filters or effects
Myanmar Visa Application From Italy
Myanmar visa application system for italians is a very simple process that can be completed in a matter of minutes. The application can be done from any device including smartphone, computer or tablet, from anywhere in the world. This largely facilitates the application process and removes any need for visiting or contacting the embassy before traveling.
The application is done through a secure application platform which can be accessed through the Myanmar Online Visa website. Applicants are asked to provide some essential personal and passport information, including their full name, date of birth, gender, nationality, passport number, date of expiry and date of issue. They also need to indicate the type of visa they are applying for (tourist or business) and their estimated date of entry to Myanmar.
It is also necessary to answer several questions related to health and security matters before submitting the application.
Note that children who have their own passports, regardless of their age, must submit a separate application form. Only children younger than 7 who are included on their parent’s passport and traveling with them are not required to apply for an eVisa. However, in this case, parents need to fill in the minor section of the online visa application form.
How to Pay and When to Present the Myanmar eVisa
Payment for the visa fee is done online through a secure payment system. All major credit and debit cards are accepted as methods of payment. The payment receipt is forwarded to the email address provided in the form, together with any updates on the status of the application. This is why it is essential to provide an active email address in the form. In the majority of cases, visa processing time is less than 72 hours.
The visa needs to be printed and presented, along with the passport that was used for the application, to the immigration officer at the border. Note that the visa can be presented only at one of the following ports of entry to Myanmar:
- Yangon International Airport
- Mandalay International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
- Thailand land border checkpoints of Kawthaung, Myawaddy, and Tachileik
- India land border checkpoints of Rihkhawdar and Tamu
Myanmar Visa on Arrival for Italian Passport Holders
Italian nationals have an additional option for obtaining a travel authorization. Myanmar visa for Italian citizens is available upon arrival to the country, as Italy is one of the few countries that are given this possibility. Travelers who are arriving at one of Myanmar’s international airports need to fill in an application form and pay the fee in order to be granted a visa. Note that this type of visa cannot be obtained at any of the land border checkpoints.